Clean-Up Instructions from a Flood Clean-Up
Seeking professional for water extraction from a flooded damage in your home is crucial. Flooded areas in your home yield additional hazards which require special precautions for property owners during clean-up from a flooded area. The following information provides clean-up procedures after water recedes if you are attempting a DIY cleanup.
- Wear protective clothing such as latex gloves, protective eyeglasses and face masks during clean-up from a flooded area in your home. Make sure the property is safe to enter and the electricity is turned off to to possible electracution. Make sure structure is safe from collapse
- Pump remaining water from building with a bilge/trash pump. Sweep stuborn puddles out or to pump with mp, broom or squeegy.
- Move items out of the flooded area as soon as possible during clean-up from the flooded area.
- Remove all wet items and allow them to air-dry during the flood clean-up process.
- Open doors and windows immediately after discovering a flooded area on your property. Fans and dehumidifiers should be used during a flood clean-up.
- Toxic chemicals in the flooded area should be moved during the flood clean-up in order to prevent chemical mixing.
- Use disinfectant on all surfaces or equipment during water damage clean up, in order to prevent mold growth.
- Getting wet structural materials out as soon as possible and setting up drying equipment is your best way of preventing mold growth.